Thursday, June 10, 2010

Steak San Marcos

2 lbs. chuck steak or London broil – 1” thick, cut into bite size pieces
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 can Italian peeled tomatoes
1 t. oregano
Pepper and garlic powder to taste
2 T. olive oil
2 T. wine vinegar

In crock pot arrange meat; cover with onion soup and tomatoes.  Sprinkle with oregano, garlic powder, pepper, oil and vinegar.  Cook on high about six hours.  Serve over bow tie pasta.  Serves 4-6 people.

The original recipe said to cook it in a covered skillet for about one and a half hours until the meat is tender, but I always make it in the crock pot.

You can double the recipe!

From whence it came:  Once again we have a fabulous recipe, thanks to my fabulous friend, Kerinda VanWagoner.  I asked her if I could post this yum-e recipe on my little blog and she said yes, as long as I said something "nice and gushy" about her.  She is really high maintenance!  But a deal's a deal so here we go.  Kerinda has the voice of an angel.  If you've never had the privilege of hearing her sing, I am really sorry.  You're missing out on some serious goose bumps!  I've been fortunate to hear her sing on many occasions and I can say that she's never pitchy.  Simon, Randy, Ellen and Kara would love her!  If only she weren't so old, she could be the next American Idol.  Hey Kerinda, good news, Simon's new show, The X Factor, has no age limit.  You could be the next Susan Boyle!  (I think I may have just veered away from the "nice and gushy" requirement.  I guess I should admit that Kerinda is younger than me.  She's not all that old.  Just a little bit!)  Thanks for sharing your Steak San Marcos Recipe with us, Kerinda.  I'll make it for the celebration dinner we throw when you win The X Factor!  (Was that "nice and gushy" enough?)  Trust me, she'll make a comment and let us know.

Why it's blogable:  This is one of my favorite things to make for dinner.  I like to make it for Sunday dinner because it just cooks away while we are at church.  Quite often I assemble it in the crock pot on Saturday, pop it in the fridge, then just plug it in on Sunday before we leave for church.  When we come home the house smells amazing!  This recipe is delicious and you can make it more nutritions by using whole grain pasta.  I love whole grain pasta!  And I love it even more when it's covered with Steak San Marcos!

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

Click here to get the printable:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34085495/Steak-San-Marcos

2 comments:

  1. You can never gush too much Pam! Keep going...

    Seriously - this is an all-time family favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got around to trying out one of your recipes, and decided to cook this one today (Sunday). It was delicious! And the fact that I could cook it in my crock pot while at church was a definite plus.

    I did run into a few bumps (thanks to my faulty memory). I don't keep all these things in my pantry, and forgot a couple items while at the store on Saturday evening. I had to substitute for the onion soup mix: 1/2 chopped large, white onion (I know, not sweet onion, but it's all I had); 2 cloves crushed garlic; and 4 t. beef base. But, hey, upside (if you like to avoid these things): it was MSG free! I also had to substitute for the wine vinegar with rice vinegar (always keep that in my pantry; I love! Japanese food). I didn't have bow-tie pasta, but everyone likes macaroni right? And it was still great! Everyone ate it right up!

    Hopefully, one these days I'll remember the items I forgot last time, and get to try again. XD

    Tell Kerinda thanks for sharing, and a big thank you to you for posting it on your tasty blog! Yum!

    ReplyDelete