Friday, April 9, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancakes


4 eggs, separated
2 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
2 T. honey
2 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
2 T. oil

Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat egg yolks with buttermilk. Add all other ingredients (except egg whites) and beat until smooth. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. Fry on hot griddle that has been sprayed with Pam or brushed with butter. Makes 18 pancakes.

From whence it came: This recipe was published in a church cookbook by another wonderful sister-in-law of mine, Lori Fronk. Lori is a mom of four grown up and very smart boys and a great cook, and this recipe of hers is a home run. I grew up without any sisters, just two pesky brothers, and it's been a great blessing in my life to have sisters through marriage. Lori is The Spy Who Loves Me's sister and a saint for putting up with him when they were kids. I love Lori, and you will love her pancakes!

Why it's blogable: This recipe is much healthier than the buttermilk pancake recipe I posted a while back, and just as yum-e. My teen girl normally won't touch anything labeled "whole wheat", but she loves these pancakes. If you're a Weight Watcher, these pancakes are just two points each. I've done the math, I promise it's true. You might as well know right here and now that I am a Weight Watcher who has fallen off the wagon, more than once. If I went to some sort of 12 step WW program I'd have to stand up and say something like this..."My name is Pam and it's been three minutes since I've had my last cookie." And even that might not be true, it more likely would have only been two minutes.

Don't be shy: I know this recipe requires you to separate eggs and then beat those egg whites until stiff, but don't let that simple step stop you from blessing your life with these great pannies. (That's what us Andersons like to call them.) Check out this video on how to separate eggs if you don't already know how. It's kinda fun. Try it! It's not difficult to beat egg whites. Just put them in a glass bowl and crank up your hand mixer to the highest speed. Let your kids do it. My teen boy loves to help make these babies. In no time at all you will have stiff peaks. You can do it! I know you can! Be gentle when you fold them into the other ingredients. Just mix them in by hand, slowly, and don't beat all the air out of them.

I hope you enjoy stirring it up!


No comments:

Post a Comment