Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rachel Ray's Tangy Chicken Sandwiches

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 1/3 c. barbecue sauce
½ c. apple cider vinegar
Hot pepper sauce (optional)
6 French rolls
6 ozs Jack cheese

Place chicken in heavy pot with onion, garlic and just enough water to cover (about 1 ½ cups). Add barbecue sauce, vinegar and a few drops of hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from sauce and shred with two forks. Boil the sauce, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half (about 15 minutes). Add the shredded chicken to the sauce and heat through. Spoon onto rolls and top with grated cheese.

(I do not add the hot pepper sauce and I cook the chicken longer than 15 minutes.)

From whence it came: Duh! Read the title! I found this recipe in a magazine and I thought it looked good so I gave it a try and I was right. (I usually am. Right, that is. When it comes to recipes. Not so much about other stuff, just mostly recipes.) I'm debating on whether or not to tell you how I feel about Rachel Ray. They thing is, she is a bit too perky for my taste. I admire her for what she's accomplished, don't misunderstand, it's just sometimes she bugs me a little bit. Well, sometimes a lot! I really hate to say these things on my blog because I fear that someday she and I will have an awkward moment in the hall at the Food Network building. You know, when Paula Deen invites me on her show, and then surprises me with Tim McGraw. I worry about running into Rachel Ray, who I'm sure is a very nice person, and having that awkward "I said Rachel bugs me" moment right there in the hall. Oh well, I'll live dangerously and take that chance.

Why it's blogable: These sandwiches make a great summertime, or really anytime, dinner. They go together really fast and my whole family likes them. They are a nice change from barbecue beef and maybe a little bit healthier, especially if you use whole grain rolls. I really like whole grain rolls, they have so much more flavor than white.

Now I feel guilty: Rachel, I'm sorry I said you sometimes bug me. I'm probably just jealous of your success. But you should watch your back, because someday my blog is going to take you down!

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Pam. You CRACK ME UP! Sounds like a great recipe. I love your blog.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete