Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hot Chocolate - Comfort in a Cup

This post is a bit long because I am very passionate about hot chocolate.  I'm giving you a great recipe, and a bunch of handy hot chocolate tips.  By the end, you'll know I wasn't kidding when I said I'm passionate about hot chocolate.  Well, truth be told, I'm passionate about chocolate.  Period.  It's my one vice.  Or at least my biggest one. 

Geralene's Hot Chocolate

20 quart box of instant powdered milk
2 pound can Nesquik
4 c. powdered sugar
2 t. salt
1 pound Coffeemate creamer (powdered)

Mix all ingredients well and store in airtight container.

Add 1/3 c. hot chocolate mix to 1 c. hot water

From whence it came:  Here's another fun recipe from my sister-in-law, Geralene.  I haven't made this recipe for a long time, but my memory regarding chocolate is long.  Very long!  And I remember that this recipe is worth making.

Why it's blogable:  This hot cocoa has a great flavor.  And it's really fun to give as a gift.  Put it in a cute container and give it to someone you love.  Serve it with these cookies and your popularity will instantly increase!

I am a hot chocolate girl!  I really do love hot chocolate.  I'm one of those annoying girls who always complains that she is cold.  The Spy Who Loves Me is never cold.  Never!  I always say he could be naked in a blizzard and asking someone to crank up the air conditioning.  I find this annoying.  The Spy says that he could bake a pan of muffins in my van while we're driving because I keep the heat cranked up so high.  The Spy and I rarely agree on things pertaining to temperature.  It's a problem.  A problem I solve with hot chocolate.  I solve most of my problems with chocolate.  Someone gave me a magnet for my fridge that says, "Inside me there's a skinny girl screaming to get out - I keep her sedated with chocolate."  Yup, that just about sums up my life!

This is the hot chocolate I drink 90% of the time:
I really, honestly and truly like this no sugar added hot chocolate.  Pinky swear!  And I like it even better when I add this:
What is a Mormon doing with coffee creamer, you might ask!  Pouring it in my hot chocolate, people!  If you have never tried this, you must!  You'll never drink plain hot chocolate again.  This one is coconut, which I love, but I also love hazelnut and mint.  And my all time favorite is peppermint mocha.  I know, mocha is a coffee flavor.  Please don't judge.  It's not coffee, it's coffee flavor.  It's my only vice.  Wait, didn't I say that once before?  It's only available at Christmas time and it's pure heaven.  Our family is so spoiled that we won't even drink hot chocolate unless we have some sort of flavored creamer in the house.  Guys, this may be the best advice I've ever given to you.  And you're welcome!

If you want to be nominated as mother of the year, buy these:
I send my teenagers out the door almost everyday (except during summertime) with one of these in their hand, filled with hot chocolate with some sort of flavored creamer.  I love making it for them, and they love me because I do.  And because I'm nice.  And because I'm cool.  And because I'm never annoying.  Well, that might not be totally true.  But they do love leaving the house with a nice cup of hot chocolate.  Those little punks better nominate me for mother of the year soon or the hot chocolate's going to come to a screeching halt!

Here's my new most favorite kitchen contraption in the whole world:
It's called the Sunbeam Hot Shot.  A dear friend who ended up with two of these recently gave me the extra one and let me tell you, I don't know how I have survived the last 50 years of my life without it.  (Thank you, Kerinda!)  This amazing little machine boils water instantly.  It's incredible!  You just pour the water in the top, push the button, wait a few seconds, then push another button to dispense the hot water into your cup.  I've had it a couple of weeks and have already used it to make jello, Joyce's Buns, and a million cups of hot chocolate.  Yes, we've consumed about a million cups of hot chocolate in the past two weeks.  Please don't judge.  It's our one vice!  (I think I've lost some credibility during this post.)

The bottom line is, hot chocolate is my friend.  It comforts me.  It warms my innards.  It doesn't judge me.  It loves me unconditionally.  It makes me happy!  I have a feeling it will make you happy, too!

Click here if you want the printable:
Geralene's Hot Chocolate

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment