Monday, November 22, 2010

Pomegranate Jello

1 large package cherry jello (regular or sugar free)
1 large pomegranate
2 ripe bananas
Cool Whip (if desired)

Make jello according to directions on box.  Put in fridge until fully set.  Using a wire whisk, break up the jello.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Add as much Cool Whip as desired.  I like about 1 cup but you can add more, less or none at all.

From whence it came:  The credit for this most fabulous of all jello recipes goes to either me or my mom.  I can't remember which one of us thought of it first.  We both love, cherish and adore pomegranates.  They are at the top of my "foods I just can't live without" list.  Unfortunately I am forced to live without them about 10 months out of the year because they are only in season around the holidays.  And that, my friends, is just one more reason to love the holidays.

Why it's blogable:  I am not fibbin' when I tell you that every time I make this jello people go nuts for it.  It's just the best jello you will ever eat, and it's super pretty!  You might be thinking that pomegranates are a pain to deal with, and you'd be a little bit right, but they are so worth the trouble.  You can pull them apart in a bowl full of water and avoid the squirts and stains caused when you deal with them.  Me, I like to sit with a big towel on my lap and just go at it.  (Pomegranates do stain, so be careful and don't wear your favorite cashmere sweater when dealing with them.) 

My teen son and I will sit together and devour an entire pomegranate.  He is also a lover of this heavenly red fruit.  And pomegranates are super duper healthy.  They are loaded with fiber and are rich in antioxidants that can keep bad LDL cholesterol from oxidizing.  Bet you didn't know I was such a smartie about this stuff.  I'm really not, I just Googled it to prove my point.

The best pomegranates are available at Costco.  They can be a bit pricey, but they are worth every cent.  Oh, and another favorite thing I do with them is put them on cold cereal, like granola or Honey Nut Cheerios or my very favorite cereal on the planet, Just Bunches!  It's the best!  I'm drooling just thinking about it.  Buy them!  Eat them!  Make this jello! 

Click here to get the printable:
Pomegranate Jello

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment