Friday, November 26, 2010

Gingersnap Cookies

½ c. butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
¼ t. salt
2 t. soda
2 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1 t. cloves

Mix together – Refrigerate for 2 hours.  Roll into balls, then roll balls in sugar.  Place on cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

From whence it came:  A lady who I dearly dearly love gets the props for this must make recipe.  Carolyn Boden, you are a hero to me in so many ways.  I have learned so much by knowing you.  I haven't seen Carolyn in quite a long time, but she has left a sweet stamp on my life.  And boy oh boy can she cook!  I'm gonna let y'all in on a little something that I believe with all my heart and soul.  It's not so much about being a great cook, it's more about having great recipes.  I don't claim to be a great cook, a am just a girl with some fabulous recipes.  And this one came from Carolyn.


I made a goal this year to search the world over and find the best gingersnap recipe in existence.  I was willing to go to any and all lengths to make this happen so that we could all enjoy heavenly gingersnap cookies.  Pondering how to start this worthy and noble task, I first turned to my own box of wrinkled and smudged recipes.  In there, from many many years ago, I found a piece of paper with this recipe on it, and on the paper was written the name Carolyn Boden.  Right then I knew.  I just knew.  This was going to be a good recipe.  If it's got Carolyn's name on it, it's a winner.  It's just that simple.  And I was right!  My search for the perfect gingersnap ended almost as quickly as it began, thanks to Carolyn.


Why it's blogable:  First of all, these cookies instantly passed The Spy test.  The Spy, who is always brutally honest when it comes to my cooking, was an instant fan.  These cookies are just what a gingersnap should be.  A tiny bit crispy around the edge and oh so soft and chewy in the middle.  The sugar coating gives them the perfect touch.  Also, they turn out so perfect looking.  I used my small Pampered Chef cookie scoop and rolled them into balls and each and every cookie was exactly the same size and shape.  I'll make a confession here, that hardly ever happens for me.  Usually my cookies all look a bit different.  Each is unique.  (I justify my lack of perfectionism in cookie making by saying that, but the truth is that mostly I'm to lazy to make them all exactly the same.)  But I did make an effort on these to make them all the same, and it was worth it.  


Just in case you're not convinced, I'll tell you one more reason these gingersnaps are blogable.  We are spending Thanksgiving with my married daughter and sonny-in-law in the fabulous town of Park City, Utah.  I made these cookies to bring to Thanksgiving and was very excited to have my married daughter try them.  I offered one to her, and she kind of gave me the thanks but no thanks look.  I resisted the urge to lay down on the floor and kick my hands and feet while crying and wailing and instead I insisted she try one.  One bite was all it took.  She was hopelessly and eternally in love.  And just trust me guys, you will be too.


Start this magical Christmas season off right with a new recipe that will put a smile on the faces of those you love.  And isn't that what Christmas is all about?  


Hope you enjoy stirring it up!
Pam

1 comment:

  1. molasses is SICK, although i love these cookies. next time i will have to make them with a mask on.

    ReplyDelete