Friday, July 2, 2010

Almond Joy Cookies

2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
2 sticks butter, softened
¾ c. packed light brown sugar
¾ c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract  (I never use this, I don't like the flavor of it!)
2 c. shredded coconut
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 ½ c. roasted almonds, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Cream butter and sugars then add eggs and vanilla.  Blend in flour, soda and salt.  Add coconut, chocolate chips and almonds.  Drop dough by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 18-20 minutes, or until set. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.  (Who is she kidding?  It makes about 2 ½ dozen…that’s why I always double the recipe.)

From whence it came: 
I don't want to tell you.  I really don't!  I want to say that I made up this recipe because it is one of the best cookie recipes of all time and I want to take all the credit.  But I am just too honest for my own good.  So I have to admit that I found this in a Mrs. Fields Cookbook.  It pained me to type that last sentence.  How could someone so skinny make up such a great recipe?  It bothers me that Mrs. Fields has become ridiculously rich making cookies and she is still skinny!  Sometimes life just isn't fair!


Why it's blogable:  Do you remember when I had my first giveaway a while back?  These were the cookies that I made for my very first giveaway.  That should tell you how great they are!  This is probably my most famous and beloved cookie recipe. I used to sell these cookies (it's a long story for another time, picture me pulling a cooler through the business districts of Oceanside...it wasn't pretty) and one guy that I sold them to called me the "crack dealer" because every time I would walk through his front door he just had to buy these cookies, just as if he were addicted to crack. He simply couldn't resist.

Why now:  I decided to post this recipe today because today is my 50th birthday and I wanted to celebrate by giving all of you this divine cookie recipe.  You deserve a gift.  You have made me happy by stalking my blog.  You have brought joy to my life by trying my recipes.  So to say thanks, here's a recipe you simply must try.

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

1 comment:

  1. Made these for a baptism and carried them in an empty plastic spinach (box?). Anyway, no one would try them because they thought they were store bought! So I told them to look closely at the box that said "spinach" and they tried them and they LOVED them! That'll teach those homemade snobs in Vista 3rd Ward.

    ReplyDelete