Monday, May 24, 2010

Banana Nut Bread

2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter or shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1/3 c. milk
1 t. vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Sift together flour, soda and salt. Cream the butter and sugar. Mix well. Add eggs and bananas and blend thoroughly. Combine the milk and lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for about 5 minutes until it curdles a bit. Slowly and alternately fold in the milk and flour mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Blend well after each addition. Stir in the nuts. Pour batter into lavishly buttered 9x5x3" pan and bake in a preheated 35o degree oven for one hour, or until bread springs back when lightly touched in the center.

From whence it came: Someone (oh how I wish I could remember who) gave us a little cookbook called Beard on Bread for a wedding gift and this yum-e recipe came from that little book. Sadly, it's the only recipe I've ever even made from the book, but it's so good it makes the book worth having. I really need to try some of Beard's other recipes because if they're as good as this one, they're worth making.

Why it's blogable: This is my favorite banana nut bread recipe. It comes out great every time...at least for me! My poor cute married daughter tried this recipe with questionable results...

(This is an actual picture from her blog.)
I think she was distracted when she made it and added too much sugar, if there is such a thing as too much sugar, which I guess there is when it comes to banana nut bread!

But then she tried it again later and redeemed herself!

(This is also an actual picture from her blog.)

Oh how I love this married daughter of mine. And she picked a really good sonny-in-law for me, too!

This is a good recipe. I always double it and make two, or a double recipe will make seven mini loaves. Mini loaves only take about 45 minutes to cook.

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment