Thursday, May 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp softened butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar (maybe more)
3/4 cup brown sugar (maybe more)
Pretzels
1 bag  semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine peanut butter and softened butter in a large bowl with a fork or whisk, or in a stand mixer.  Add the sugars and mix to combine.  At this point if the filling will roll easily into balls without sticking to your hands you’re ready to go.  If not, add a little more of each sugar until you reach a consistency that is easy to roll (I used about 3/4 cup of each sugar).

Use a teaspoon measure to scoop the filling.  Roll each portion into a small ball, then sandwich them between two whole pretzels.  When all the balls are rolled and successfully sandwiched, stick the whole tray in the freezer for about half an hour.

Pour the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30-second intervals, stirring occasionally until completely melted.  Remove the pretzel sandwiches from the freezer and quickly dip each half-way into the melted chocolate.  Return to the tray and repeat with remaining sandwiches.  When all are dipped, return the tray to the freezer to set up completely.  Store the sandwiches in the refrigerator until serving time.

Cook's tip:  I used 3/4 cup of powdered sugar instead of 1/2 cup.  The dough wasn't thick enough with just 1/2 cup.  I also learned that refrigerating the dough before rolling it into balls and putting it between the pretzels made the process quite a bit easier.  I dipped half of the batch in milk chocolate and half in semi-sweet and surprisingly I liked the semi-sweet better.  Also, I made the mistake of accidentally buying unsalted pretzels.  Although the bites were good using unsalted, I think they would be better with salted. 

From whence it came:  My cute as can be married daughter found this recipe while stalking the blog of one of her cute friends.  My married daughter called me and told me about these and I just had to try them.  My married daughter is on my good list, not only for sharing this great recipe, but for being just as sweet as this great recipe.  Do you know that she calls her momma just about every single day to check in and say hello?  Do you know how much that means to her momma?  More than words on this silly little blog could ever express.  Oh how I love my married daughter, and oh how you'll love these pretzles!

Why it's blogable:  The combination of sweet and salty is a winner as far as I'm concerned.  You combine pretzels and chocolate and I'm gonna sit right down next to you and be your best friend.  At least until the pretzels and chocolate are all gone.  Then you go and put peanut butter into the mix and you've got yourself one sensational recipe.  These little bites might be a process to make, but they're not hard, and they're worth the effort.  The Spy Who Loves Me and my teen son totally and completely agree!

Click here to get the printable:
Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment