Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Very Cool Pie Crust Secrets

If you're into making pie crusts, you have to check out this super cool video:

Lion House Pie Crust Secrets

Personally, I'm not a pie crust making girl.  It's an art I haven't mastered.  I think I lack motivation because I'm not a huge pie lover.  I do like pie sometimes, but it's not my favorite, so I've never taken the time to learn how to make a really good pie crust.

My mom makes a really good pie crust, and when we were kids she would make pie crust dough, pat it out into small circles, brush it with melted butter, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar and bake it in the oven until it was crispy.  Oh baby!  It was a huge treat for our family.  We called it Yucca Crust.  I have no idea why.  But it was really good!

If you're into pie, watch the video.  It has some great tips.  And if you've ever had a Lion House Pie, you will know that they are yum-e!  Here's their very famous recipe:

Lion House Pie Crust

1/4 Cup Butter
1/3 Cup lard
1/4 Cup margarine
1/3 Cup shortening
1 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 TBS nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 cups pastry flour
1 1/2 cups Bread flour
1/2 cups plus 1 TBS cold water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixer, cream together butter, lard, margarine and shortening. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, baking powder, salt and dry milk powder; add to creamed butter mixture and mix briefly. Add pastry flour and beat until blended. Add bread flour and mix slightly. Pour in water and beat again just until water is blended.

Divide dough into two or three balls. Roll out each ball on a floured board. Line pie pan with dough and cut off excess dough. Flute edges. Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Otherwise, fill unbaked pie shell and bake according to recipe. Makes 2 to 3 9 inch pie shells. You can substitute 3 cups all purpose flour for the pastry and bread flour called for in the recipe.

Click here to get the printable:

Click here to learn more about The Lion House - it's one of my all time favorite restaurants in the whole world! 

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment