Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tim McGraw's Chicken and Dumplings


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 small chicken
  • Water
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • Milk
  • 1 egg
Boil chicken, adding salt to taste. When tender, pull chicken from the bone and return to the broth.

Pour flour into a bowl, leaving a hole in the middle. Add 1 egg and enough milk to form a doughy consistency (similar to how you would make biscuits). Sprinkle flour on cutting board. Pinch off part of the dough and roll into a thin sheet and cut into squares. Drop one square at a time into broth. Continue this until all of the dough is used. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer until tender.


Allow the dumplings to thicken the broth until it is a creamy consistency.

From whence it came:  Sigh!  Double sigh!  Sigh again!  Sorry, but I can't help myself.  I always sigh before I say (or type) the name Tim McGraw.  I love him!   I know it's wrong, considering that I am married to a spy who loves me, but if loving Tim is wrong, I don't wanna be right!  My friends make fun of me and tease me mercifully, but I don't care.  Being Tim's #1 fan is my calling in life.  And I've got the Tim McGraw earrings to prove it!

Why it's blogable:  I guess I'm going to have to confess right here and now that I've never made this recipe.  I've never eaten this recipe.  I honestly don't think I've ever tasted chicken and dumplings of any kind in my 50 years of existence.  I'm not sure I'd even like them.  Dumplings are mushy and gooey (like my feelings for Tim).  Mushy and gooey feelings are good, but mushy and gooey food is not my favorite.  So why post this recipe and break one of my major blogging rules of never posting a recipe that I've never made?  Because tonight I saw the movie Country Strong starring that hunky cowboy and now he is on my mind.  Oh, who am I kidding, he is usually on my mind.  But now he's on my mind more than usual.  

The Spy:  You might be wondering how The Spy Who Loves Me feels about my Timmy obsession.  He's cool with it.  Honest!  He really is!  He mostly just rolls his eyes and acknowledges that there's no point in fighting it.  It is what it is.  A middle aged woman with an unhealthy and at times slightly disturbing crush on a country superstar.  And to show y'all just how great The Spy really is, tonight he sat right beside me in the movie theater and held my hand as I watched my "other boyfriend" on the big screen.  I love The Spy!  And I love that he lets me love Tim, from a distance.  A long distance.  A very long distance.  No, there isn't a restraining order against me...yet!

Click here to get the printable:

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!
 

1 comment:

  1. Well I just had to comment on this one. This kind of dumpling is called a sad dumpling straight from the south. My mother use to make them as did her mother and her grandmother as far back as she could recall. She always said you can't make good dumplings without a really fat hen. You don't get really fat hens in the supermarket any more. I guess you have to find a butcher that might have one. Can't use a frying chicken it has to be a roasting chicken. I'm telling you this because I tried making them once they were not good. But when they are done right they are the best. I hope someone can get this recipe right. Let me know. We ate them with a side of fresh peas. Thanks for your blog, I do love it. Sis. Walters

    ReplyDelete