Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sam the Cooking Guy Chili Dogs

1 package Hebrew National Hot Dogs
1 package hot dog buns
1 pound bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans chili
Grated cheddar cheese

Cut bacon into 1" pieces and fry in pan with onion until bacon is crispy.  Remove from pan and place on paper towels to absorb extra bacon grease.



Drain most of bacon grease from pan.  Slice hot dogs the long way, but don't slice all the way through.  Place sliced side down in frying pan and cook on both sides until brown.


While hot dogs are browning, place hot dog buns on cookie sheet.  Butter buns then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Place in broiler until brown and crispy.

I forgot to take a picture after the buns were browned, but this is what they look like going into the broiler.  Just brown them, don't burn them. 

Place the chili in a microwave container and heat in microwave until very warm.


Place browned hot dogs into browned buns.  Spoon chili on top of hot dogs, then sprinkle with bacon and onion mixture.


Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.


Place back in broiler just until cheese is melted.

Eat with a fork and knife.  Or, if you're really brave, use your hands.  Extra napkins required!

From whence it came:  If you don't live in San Diego you might not know about Sam the Cooking Guy.  And if that's the case, I'm sorry.  If I was going to be honest I would have to admit that I have a little crush on Sam.  I am a softie for a man who can cook...and grill...and broil...and bake!  Sam has a little local cooking show on a little local San Diego station that broadcasts the Padres games.  He's hot!
Did I just say he's hot?  I'm so sorry.  I just got carried away thinking about Sam and his kitchen.  I'll tell you a little secret, but you have to promise not to tell The Spy Who Loves Me.  The Spy is in the process of ordering new glasses.  (Yes, The Spy is a four eyed Spy.)  I'm leaning him toward a pair of glasses similar to Sam's, but I'm not telling him about the Sam part.  I'm just telling him they are cool.  And they are.  And so is Sam!

Why it's blogable:  My teen son and I were watching Sam one night when he made these chili dogs and my teen son got down on his hands and knees and begged me to make these.  I'm not a huge lover of hot dogs.  I'm what you might call a hot dog snob.  I will only eat Hebrew National hot dogs and I like the low fat ones the best.  They taste just as good as the regulars but lots less fat and calories.  (Until you cover them with bacon, chili and cheese.  Then all bets are off!)  Anywho, I can't say no to my boy so we made these chili dogs and the teen son and The Spy instantly fell in love.  I hadn't made them again for quite a while because they are about as hard on your heart as any recipe I've ever tried, but then we went on vacation to the cabin in the woods and I just knew this would be the perfect cabin dinner.  And it was.  Everyone loved 'em.  Everyone, that is, except our cardiologist.  I told you, they are not heart friendly.  This is a once a year, special occasion, cabin in the woods, camping near a creek, teen son begging on bended knee kind of meal. 

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment