Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pretzel Jello Salad


First layer:

2 c. crushed pretzels
½ c. melted butter (real butter, people!)

Mix and press into 9x13 pan. Cook at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool.

Second layer:

1 8oz. cool whip
1 c. sugar
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened

Beat sugar and softened cream cheese until fluffy. Fold in cream cheese and spread over pretzel layer.

Third layer:

1 large package strawberry or raspberry Jell-o
2 c. boiling water
2 10 oz. packages frozen strawberries or raspberries, with juice

Mix all ingredients then let this gel in the fridge until slightly thickened. Spread over 2nd layer.

Chill until set and enjoy!

From whence it came: This recipe was given to me by a fabulous woman who I just loved named Nora Hurst. Some people come into your life and leave you better than they found you. Nora was such a person. Way back when, before I had my kiddies, I worked for Citizens Bank of Costa Mesa and Nora was my boss. She was a hoot. She was a Texan, through and through, and boy was she spunky. Nora had breast cancer, but never ever did she let it get her down. She passed away about 20 years ago. She was feisty and fun and a fabulous cook. She published a cookbook, written in her very own handwriting. I treasure my copy. Nora treated me like family. Come to think of it, Nora treated most everybody like family. She had true Southern hospitality and charm. Thanks for the recipe, Nora. I think of you every single time I make it!

Why it's blogable: Jello with pretzels? Has somebody lost their ever lovin' mind? Nope, not even close. This recipe is to die for, and I know a bunch people who would tell you I'm right. Even the hubby (remember that I told you he doesn't always like fruity stuff?) yep, even the hubby is crazy about this one. You might think it's weird, but you'd be wrong. Give it a try, I dare ya! You're gonna love it!

Just so ya know: This salad (yes, in our family it's a salad, not a dessert, although it's as good as any dessert you've ever sunk your teeth into)...where was I? Oh yeah, this salad is best made the day it is served. It's still pretty good the next day, but the pretzels get a bit soft and they're better when they're crunchy. They mix with that heavenly butter and come out of the oven with a nutty flavor that'll make you drool! Oh, and make it in a glass pan cause the layers are just as purdy as they are yum-e!

Hope you enjoy stirring it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment